The 70’s are back! Think fun and flair, hippies and boho. Think simple chic and sophistication. The 70’s had it all and this season we are seeing the influence everywhere.
What do you know of the 70s? Perhaps more than you realise. Think of classic TV shows like The Brady Bunch and Charlie’s Angels, and more recently, That 70s Show. Yes, there you go. You’re with it now.
- In the 70s we had flares. This season we have the wide leg pant and the boot cut jean.
- In the 70s we had kaftans. This season we have loose, floaty silhouettes in tops and dresses, and peasant style tops.
- In the 70s we had the maxi dress. This season, the maxi is back.
- In the 70s we had fringes. This season we also have fringes, wearing them on our jackets, clothing and bags.
- In the 70s we had knee high boots. This season, so do we.
- In the 70s we had suede and denim. This season, texture, fur and suede is the big thing.
- In the 70s, there was colour everywhere. This season we have vibrant colours and prints in top-to-bottom styling.
I love the move from slouch casual, low slung waists to the more fitted look. Waists are higher – at the actual waist where they should be. The look is either layered – long, flowing layers full of movement and hinting at your shape – or fitted, with the emphasis on following the long lines of the body.
One of the standouts for me is the emphasis on texture and pattern: fringing, feathering, thick fun fur jackets, beaded bags, thick ponchos and boho styling. You will see long, hippie skirts teamed with knee high boots. You will see wide leg pants worn with loose, flowing jackets.
In the more restrained looks, texture is still important. You will see woollen look jumpers and turtle necks worn under styled jackets, and knit scarves beneath coats tied at the waist. There is something for everyone this season. Whether you prefer the more restrained look of pantsuits and jeans with oversized jackets or the wild, free spirit of boho with prints, patterns and floating layers, you will be at home.